Re: Urgent help about dump-restore is needed!

I have no experience with that. But this may help: http://surf.ap.seikei.ac.jp/~nakano/dump-restore/

On 1/27/06, Hongwei Li <hongwei@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have an urgent problem.  For some reason some users's mail inbox got wiped
out. I need to restore them from the tape backup.  I use dump to backup them
up.  I have trouble to restore. What I did is:

# mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
# mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 14  -- to the beginning point of /var backup
# restore if /dev/st0
restore > ls
.:
...  log/             spool/
restore > cd spool/mail
restore > ls
./spool/mail:
(all username, look normal)
restore > add user1name
restore > extract
You have not read any volumes yet.
Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
with the last volume and work towards the first.
Specify next volume # (none if no more volumes):

What should I enter?  I tried 1, then I can extract one user's mail, however,
I could not extract any other users.  I quit and redo the above from beginning
(mt ...), it starts asking me:

You have not read any volumes yet.
Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
with the last volume and work towards the first.
Specify next volume # (none if no more volumes):
Specify next volume # (none if no more volumes): 1
Mount tape volume 1
Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
otherwise enter tape name (default: /dev/st0)

Then, it does not work no matter what I entered.  What should I do?  Please help!

Thanks a lot!

Hongwei Li