Re: reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 13:36, umberto rossi wrote:

> Now comes the new problem. The fdisk -l command told me the second hard
> disk is called hdb1 (I mean the part of the HD where the data are). It
> also told me that the external HD is called sda or something like that.
> But when I issue the mount command for the hdb1 I receive a message that
> tells me that the hdb1 device does not exist in the etc/fstab and
> etc/mtab files. The syntax I used is:
>
> mount dev/hdb1 /home/berto/ubik
>
> ubik being a folder I created for the second HD.
>
> Is there a mistake in my command syntax, or should I directly edit the
> fstab file? I understand doing that ain't that simple, though...

You need the leading / on /dev/hdb1 to make it an absolute path.
If you give both the partition and mount point in the command the
entry does not have to exist in fstab/mtab.  The error message
is slightly misleading but if you did have such an entry, you'd
only have to specify one or the other in the mount command.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx