Re: reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

2006/1/26, umberto rossi <umbertorossi_000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Il mer, 2006-01-25 alle 22:09, Les Mikesell ha scritto:

Ok, sorry if I ask foolish questions, but I am totally ignorant about
the Linux/Fedora environment.

1. How do I run the command fdisk? I can't find a command line here,
Fedora runs a windows interface...

open an xterm or switch to a text console (ALT+CTRL+1 or 2 ... 6); become root with "su -" (the - is for have the std env of root, like PATH ...) and then follow the instruction.
Experiment a while with bash, expecially the history feature (with CTRL+r to find an already executed command in the history), with the completion (tab to complete command you just forgot or file name or directory ...)

2. same ith the mount command

3. I found the fstab file in the etc folder, but how do I edit it? Is
there a specific program for that?

Personally I use vim (VI Improved) but you can use a std X11 editor. Please, read carefully the man page for the /etc/fstab If you append some wrong entry, chance the system don't boot

> I'd expect this to be found automatically and show up on the
> desktop. Try unplugging and hotplugging to see if it is
> recognized then.  If not, do a 'dmesg' and look towards the
> end of the listing for a /dev/sdxx device to show up.  That
> can be mounted in the same way as the /dev/hdxx.  The
> fat format has some limitations.  If you only plan to use the
> drive with Linux you might want to 'mkfs -t ext3' the
> partition (warning - that will destroy the current contents).

If by hotplugging you mean plugging in when the machine is already on
and the OS running, well it doesn't work. As for the other way to do it,
Ok, I might try but - same as before - where do I issue a dmesg command
and/or the mkfs command (the external HD is empty, so at least that is
not a problem)?

same as above. in an xterm or in a text console, as normal user "dmesg"
If you become root ("su -") you can also use "less /var/log/messages" and even start a "tail -f /var/log/messages" then hot plug the device and see directly what happen

Sorry for bothering you, but my computer user life so far has been spent
only on DOS, OS/2 and Windows.

ur

HTH
--