Re: reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 14:52, umberto rossi wrote:
> I have installed Fedora today on my pc and everything works allright,
> but I still have two problems to solve:
>
> - my pc has 2 HD. On one I installed fedora, which meant eliminating the
> old Win98 partitions. the other HD wasn't formatted during the
> installation. I thought I could read the files on it, but now I am
> unable to open it--it does not appear in any place in the fedora
> environment

You have to mount the partition(s) from your other hard drive
somewhere.  If you run 'fdisk -l' you should see all of
the partitions and one on the 2nd drive might be something
like /dev/hdb1.  Make a directory for it somewhere and
mount it with (as root) 'mount /dev/hdxx /path/to/dir'.
If the system doesn't figure out the filesystem type
you can add -t vfat after the mount command.  If you
want it to be automatically mounted at boot time you
can make an entry in /etc/fstab for it.

> - I cannot see my external USB 40GB hard drive. It was initialised for
> Win98. Should I re-initialize it, and how?

I'd expect this to be found automatically and show up on the
desktop. Try unplugging and hotplugging to see if it is
recognized then.  If not, do a 'dmesg' and look towards the
end of the listing for a /dev/sdxx device to show up.  That
can be mounted in the same way as the /dev/hdxx.  The
fat format has some limitations.  If you only plan to use the
drive with Linux you might want to 'mkfs -t ext3' the
partition (warning - that will destroy the current contents).

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx