Re: Sendmail and security

Anne Wilson wrote:
A user of another distro has remarked that I should uninstall sendmail. <quote> Sendmail simply has too many security issues to leave it on any machine. </quote>

Depends on the configuration. On Red Hat and Fedora Core hosts, the default configuration for sendmail listens only on the localhost interface, and is safe from remote exploits. Also, as long as you leave the targeted SELinux policy enabled, sendmail should be restricted in what it can do.

Those things said, I'm not a big fan of sendmail's all-in-one-binary architecture, which is the root of its long history of exploits. I wouldn't use it to actually receive mail from the internet.