Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 03:32, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> > > I'm content to move to FC5, but it's not even released yet, and that is
> > > the point of the argument.
> >
> > The point is that you are supposed to be testing the test releases,
> > otherwise they don't accomplish anything.
>
> This is completely disingenuous.  If the only "point" is to do nothing
> other than test "testing" versions, then there is no "point" to having
> a "release" version.

If no one tests the testing version, nothing will change between
it and the release version.

> The test releases *do* accomplish something,
> they are tested by those people interested in *testing* them.

Ummm, yeah - I'll bet there are just a whole bunch of people
out there whose favorite thing is to try to run software
that probably won't work just so they can report bugs.

> That's
> not everyone (in fact, it's a very small minority).

And that's a problem, because bugs don't get found until
lots of people run the software under exactly the same
conditions as they will in production and on all of the
same hardware.

> The full release
> versions are for "everyone else" (that's FC1, FC2, FC3, and FC3, note
> the lack of -test suffix).  If it weren't for the users of release
> versions, all your development efforts and testing are nothing more
> than mental masturbation.  The "point" is to get a released product
> into the hands of end users wanting to get work done with it.

That's not the point of the fedora project, although it has
to be a side effect that keeps enough people using it.  When
all the problems that can be fixed in a version have been
fixed, the project isn't accomplishing anything until the
next release.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx