Re: Fwd: A question from the Fedora Foundation

On Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:23 AM -0500 Synister Syntax <synistersyntaxlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

     Although a good solid income for Fedora, will only better the
project, limiting the community input will kill it.  Its basically
cutting off your nose to spite your face.  As I answered in the
survey.  I would donate to Fedora, but I am not so sure I would "pay"
to be part of a closed door community for something that claims to be
a community, promoting freedom.

My suggestion for subscription funding is to fund development by the foundation, not to limit contributions by those outside of it. The foundation will have limited developer capacity. Subscribers get to direct that capacity. Everyone else gets to contribute as usual.

The tricky part is organizing it so that volunteer contributions (eg. patches) aren't lost or ignored.