Re: DVD camcorders and FC4, was Re: Problem copying VOB files.

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 12:32 -0600, J. K. Cliburn wrote:
> If your dvd camcorder uses mini-dvds, have you gone about combining
> video footage from multiple mini-dvds onto a single full-size dvd?

I've not done that, but I have pulled the VOBs off (or parts of them via
dvd:rip) to then edit together to make my own videos.

> I've
> recently been successful, but it's a rather kludgy process and I'm
> wondering if there's a better/easier way.

I'd be curious what the process is but I've not mastered any dvds
myself.

> Are you able to mount your dvd-cam directly with FC4 and extract images
> prior to finalizing the dvd in the camera?  I can mount the camera, but
> I've not yet been able to get at the unfinalized images on the camera's dvd.

No, I can't mount the camera via USB at all (at least when I tried over
a year and a half ago).  If I really want to grab something before the
disk is finalized, I have to use the proprietary (and really crappy)
program on that other OS to do it.  Thus, I usually wait till a DVD is
full so I can just mount it in linux before Ido any work with any of the
videos.

> I use a Sony DCR-DVD403.  Neither gphoto2 nor digikam have built-in
> support for it yet.

I have the DVD201.  Are there plans to support these camcorders at all?

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't get a camcorder that uses
mini-DVDs and would stick to something that records in DV and can be
accessed via firewire.  A friend has one and it's much more flexible
(and you end up with much higher quality video).

Chris