Re: Accessing Thunderbird email in terminal

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 02:16, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > > Here's what I do, I copy the appropriate Thunderbird mail file
> > > the my $HOME directory and them use mutt -f mailbox_name. This
> > > is a pain but if you don't do this the original mail box gets
> > > messed up. I hope someone has a better solution.
> > >

> > My solution is a bit of an overkill, but works fine. I have configured
> > an imap server (using dovecot). Then I made symlinks on ~/mail to point
> > to the files used by thunderbird in windows. Then all I have to do is
> > use an imap compatible client to read those e-mails... And with this
> > approach, you can install squirrelmail (a webmail program that I believe
> > comes with FC4).
> > The only downside of this approach is that when I go back to windows,
> > Thunderbird has to recreate the indexes for all those folders, but at
> > least that is a fast operation.
> >

> This actually looks like the best idea. Lots of my emails are in
> Hebrew and I don't suppose that would work so well in a terminal! But
> I can access an IMAP server with php and create a simple web-based
> interface.
>
> Also, I could run thunderbird on the wife's XP box and access my mail
> from there when I am sitting there. Nice.

If email is the only thing you want to share, an IMAP server is
the way to go.  If the existing server where you get email
handles IMAP, just point accounts on both machines there. If
not, set up fetchmail to grab it via pop and deliver on a
machine that you control that runs an IMAP server.  Then
you can configure accounts on any number of machines to see
the same mailbox using your choice of programs.  These
programs will also move messages that have been received via
pop back into an IMAP inbox or folder, so you can use one
as an exchange point for several machines.

On the other hand, if you really want to run arbitrary X
programs remotely, you can do that by installing the free
Cygwin package on the windows box if you have good bandwidth
or for better performance on slow links try freenx and the
nxclient from www.nomachine.com.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx