Re: Need help with a serial port

Steven W. Orr wrote:

> Ok. Now we're talking. I do have parport_serial and parport loaded.
> Knowing to look at ttyS[45] helped.
>
> 523 > setserial -a /dev/ttyS4
> /dev/ttyS4, Line 4, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x8000, IRQ: 11
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>
> *524 > setserial -a /dev/ttyS5
> /dev/ttyS5, Line 5, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x8400, IRQ: 11
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal skip_test
>
> 525 >
>
> I'm almost there. Now if I run
>
> pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS4 -b .
>
> or also on ttyS5
>
> instead of saying    Unable to bind to port:
>
> I now get the correct message:
>    Listening for incoming connection on /dev/ttyS5...
>
> But if I then hit the button on the Palm, they both just hang there. Any
> idea what I can do next? Is it still possible that this is not a supported
> card?
>
> TIA

I know the card is supported for two reasons - first, setserial
would not give the correct information if it could not talk to
the card, and second, I have used it to sync a couple of Palm III's
and Palm 100's.

Two things I would check  - check the permissions on the ports. It
is possible that you have read, but not write permission. Also
check that your sync cable/cradle is plugged in all the way.

Mikkel