Re: Accessing Thunderbird email in terminal

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I read my Thunderbird mail in the terminal? I am starting to
> access my home machine via SSH at the university and this would be
> very useful.
>
> I have been familiarizing myself with mutt, but do not know how to get
> it to use Thunderbirds files. They are in mbox format in my
> thunderbird profile. I want both programs to be able to access them.
>
> Also, would it be neccassary/recommended to shut down thunderbird
> before reading the mail with mutt? If so, how could I do this? Tbird
> is started in KDE, so it does not show up in jobs in a terminal.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen

If you have X forwarding enabled, you could run Thunderbird on your
home machine, and have the display on the university machine. You
do need an X server running on the university machine. If you are
running Windows, there are some Java X servers you can run, ether
in a web browser, or as a Windows program. I remember running
across a couple that included SSH to connect to the remote machine.

Mikkel