Re: Cannot open a non-ISO9660 file

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 11:28 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:
>

> > Would file know if it were a FAT32 .iso?  Such a beast might work on
> > MSWindows (not that I know).
>
> It should; it recognises ext2 filesystems

Anything can have the .iso extension.  It only is an iso9660 filesystem
if it was created as such.

You cannot name an arbitrary file as a .iso and expect it to be handled
as an iso9660 filesystem.

An improperly completed iso _might_ give the type to file as data, but I
cannot confirm that.  I can confirm that any properly working burner
(regardless of the OS) should be able to tell the actual file type and
not depend on the .iso extension to define the file.