Re: (no subject)

on 01/13/2006 03:22 AM James Wilkinson wrote:

Do you have a fedora rescue CD? Can you use it? If not, I'd recommend
not right now. But it is not a problem to download it.

leaving well alone. Get Fedora booting from NTLDR, and don't muck about
with your boot sector. Otherwise you might not be able to get into
either operating system.
The point of all this was to get rid of ntldr being on hda where linux is installed.

NT (and I'm including Win2K and XP) doesn't like having it's boot
partition mucked about with. I suspect you could get it as far as
beginning to load, probably as far as the second screen -- the one with
the big Win2K logo. But you'd then run into problems once it had loaded
all its drivers and tried to switch to protected mode disk access. While
running, it doesn't get its idea of the location of the WINNT directory
from the boot loader: it stores it internally.

whatever you say, nothing bad happened. The solution proposed above worked fine for me.

So I'd leave hdb as the master.

Unless you've edited /etc/fstab or /boot/grub/*, Fedora should Just Work
once you've got it to boot. So it shouldn't worry if its /dev/hda has
suddenly become a /dev/hdb.

I afford myself to disagree with you here. I happened once to install fedora on /dev/hdb, and then physically made it /dev/hda... Everything was messed up, I had to reinstall the system (just because I didn't have any other machine close to me to get alternative solution)

What you should be able to do is use the rescue CD to put grub into the
MBR of Windows' disk.
grub-install /dev/hda
*Not* /dev/hda1, that's where NTLDR goes.
Once again: I had this configuration in the beginning. The whole point was to make different system physically independent of each other, even of small components.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./