Re: rsync copying files it doesn't need to

Les Mikesell wrote:
The -a flag will make it try to duplicate the
owner/group/permissions.  Perhaps there is some reason it
can't.  In any case it probably doesn't take much extra time
for this step.  The directory names are exchanged in any
case so the only extra work is sending whatever difference
it is finding and trying to duplicate it.

Yes, that could explain it - my username and group on the remote machine are different. However it's odd that it only does shows this behaviour for the directories I mentioned and none of the other directories. Checking on the remote machine shows no difference in ownership or group for these directories compared to any other.

You're right, it doesn't seem to pose any real problem, but something inside me wants to understand :)

J.