Re: FC4 booting problem?

On 1/3/06, under.actuate@xxxxxxxxx <under.actuate@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 2 hard drives:
> > - The first is dedicated to Windows XP.
> > - The second is partitioned so that Fedora Core 4 is at the front and
> > extra space is given for Windows at the back.
> >
> > While I installed FC4, I made sure to set FC4 as the default boot.  So
> > I expected it to boot after the system was rebooted.  But, Windows
> > automatically boots.  Do you have any ideas what the problem could be?
>
> You have to install the GRUB bootloader onto the drive that the BIOS
> boots from.  It sounds like you've installed it to the second (Linux)
> drive, and the PC BIOS is booting from the first one (continuing to boot
> Windows, as it previously did).
>

> Hey, thanks for the ideas.  The funny thing is that the bootloader was
> installed on hda, which is the Windows drive (Linux is on hdb).  So, it
> should be in the right place.

Let's assume that grub is properly installed. Grub is probably set to
1) delay 5 seconds before booting the selected OS and 2) to hide the
grub boot menu.  So try striking a key within 5 seconds of the boot
process and select Fedora.  If that works edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Change "default=1" to "default=0",  "timeout=5" to "timeout=10" or
something that is more manageable for you and comment out (insert a #
front of ) hiddenmenu so that you are presented with a OS selection
menu.