Re: Weird hardware: how to check it?!

Strong wrote:
> Several weeks ago my USB controller stopped working: it's "seen" system
> - for I can see
> hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
> hub 1-0:1.0: 4 ports detected
> in /var/log/dmesg yet it does not function - for it reflects not on
> plugging a device in. Then I bought a separate controller - and it
> works now just fine. But! Today I needed my built-in network card to
> connect to another machine - and I was not able to make it working... I
> compiled all the drivers for it (10Mbit-1000Mbit - and I have 1Gbit
> one) but the device like /dev/eth0 didn't appear although I see
> eth0: Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter
>       PrefPort:A  RlmtMode:Check Link State
> in /var/log/dmesg. But I suppose it can be the same case like with
> built-in USB controller: the device is seen but does not function...
> So, my question is: how I can check my hardware? Including that bad USB
> controller as a test for that checker?! - Thank You.

Weird.

Try a much older kernel: does that re-enable anything? If so, you should
bugzilla it.

What does /sbin/lspci say: does it list both the built-in USB controller
and the ethernet device?

Did the network card ever work, or are you just trying to get it to work
now?

Try moving the add-in USB controller to another PCI slot: sometimes PCI
devices don't like sharing PCI interrupts.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Ah yes. Thingie and thingamagig, and I'll throw in
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | whatchamacallit too. Because in tech support, "button"