Re: ICH6M SATA and poor optical drive performance

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
Øyvind Stegard wrote:

I've read on the web that you can enable atapi (for 2.6.14) without patching
the source by using the kernel param atapi_enabled=1 or
libata.atapi_enabled=1.  The former works for some people and the latter
works for others...still neither work for some people:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/5836

Those people in that thread are simply using the kernel param without having
to recompile the kernel with this part of your patch:
-#undef ATA_ENABLE_PATA
+#define ATA_ENABLE_PATA

Maybe that's why it doesn't work for some people...?

One last thing, I've had bad luck compiling vanilla kernels from kernel.org
in the past.  They compiled and booted fine, but my system was extremely
sluggish while running them.  Since then, I've only been compiling what
Redhat makes available to in via the kernel-{version}.src.rpm
packages...and a 2.6.14 kernel src rpm package isn't available for FC3 yet. Any tips on getting a vanilla kernel running up to speed?

Øyvind

Thanks for the reply and help,
-- Christopher

P.S.  My machine is a Dell Inspiron 6000d laptop if it matters.

For what it is worth on this matter. I have a Toshiba laptop with the same chipset and had the same issues. With the latest kernel and libata.atapi_enabled=1 in the modprobe.conf file, my laptop works as expected. Can watch DVD's on the drive with no issues and is recognized as /dev/sdc. Good work developers.

I didn't do anything else. The day I sat down to work on it over the Xmas break, I found that all was well. My wife is a very happy person which makes me happy.