Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 12:26, Mike McCarty wrote:
> |		pipe to another program
> xargs		not familiar with this program, sorry
> 		but looking at it, it looks like it's
> 		essentially the same as -exec

It's much more efficient than exec for programs that
accept multiple filenames on the command line.  It takes
a list from stdin and puts reasonably-sized bunches on
the command line of the specified program so you don't
have to start the program for every file or worry about
exceeding command line size limits.

> vim		sorry, not familiar with vim

It's an enhanced vi. But sed or ed could probably
do this job.

> God, please save us from "clever" programmers.

Famous quote:
  "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
   place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
   you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
   -- Kernighan

Some other interesting comments on the topic of simplicity
and not re-inventing old mistakes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

--
  Les Mikesell