Re: Eclipse & Oracle10g-EE

On Saturday 31 December 2005 3:57 pm, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 23:48 +0200, Ali Helmy wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I need to develop a software for a small company, but I really feel
> > that I want to make it all based on free-software... The software will
> > include some code (Duh) which I will write in Java, along with a
> > DBMS...
> >
> > So, I was thinking of using Eclipse for developing the software, and
> > using the new free Oracle 10g-Express Edition as the DBMS...

Eclipse is a butt-kicking development environment.  I would not use the
version that comes with Fedora, though.  I want more control over my
development environment so I usually install it separately.  I also install
Java separately and then control it with environmental variables.

> If you are going to learn a new database, i.e. you haven't worked with
> Oracle before, why not use PostgreSQL or MySQL...

I agree with Sean here.  PostgreSQL or MySQL will be quite a bit less
complicated to set up and administer than Oracle.  And, if you stick to
mostly "standard" SQL, your applications will be fairly transferable between
DBMS.

> > Have any of you tried this combination before? I think I'm settled
> > about using Eclipse to develop the software, but how about the DBMS?
> > Suggestions?
>
> If you need an alternative to Eclipse, try Kdevelop.  However, eclipse
> is a very useful piece of software for what you are starting.
>
> Furthermore, what source control system is the application going to be
> maintained under?  CVS, subversion, etc....

Critical piece of advice here.  Be sure that you pick a good one (Eclipse
works with CVS "out of the box").  Quite often people discount the source
control system.  Where I work, we have over 750Mg of source code under CVS.

--
Rich Stanford