Re: XFS file system

On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 18:46 +0100, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:

> Well, I have installed FC3 that way (XFS on most partitions)
> and now I regret it. All the time I have a power failure (very rare)
> or a kernel crash, all the files that were opened O_RDWR contain only
> zeroes after reboot.

It's best if there's a match between the tools and the purpose.

XFS was designed first and foremost for performance. Clean behaviour in
the case of sudden loss of power to the processing unit is not exactly a
high-priority design constraint for systems such as these...

http://www.sgi.com/products/

...since the processing unit is always behind at least one layer of
backup/redundant/uninterruptible power supplies.

However, the highest performance possible is one of (if not THE) most
important design constraints.
Another assumption behind XFS is that storage is the best quality and
therefore it does not lie when it reports back that the data was flushed
all the way to the magnetic layer (which is something that cheap IDE
drives/cards lie about, sometimes).

Bottom line: use Ext3 for the general-purpose partitions. Use XFS for
your MythTV partition, or the one used to do video capture, DVD backups,
ISO images, etc.
At least that's what I do.

> And most of the time the Oops points to the xfs driver.

It's been many years since I've last seen an oops on healthy hardware
while using a "vanilla" Fedora / Red Hat install, with or without XFS.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/