Re: Man pages

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 13:24 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> In answer to your question, I usually do a Google search for examples.
> Let's say I want to use Samba, and the man pages aren't helpful.  I
> would do a Google search and enter the words "samba" and "example" in
> the search field.  The very first hit would bring up John Terpstra's
> excellent web page titled "Samba-3 by Example."

However, a common problem with this is you find information about
versions so different from what you have, that the information is quite
inaplicable.  Configuration options, even meanings, have changed.  File
locations have changes, etc.

Proper documentation really needs to come with the application.  When
complex programs don't come with adequate documentation, it really *is*
slack on their behalf.  A fancy program is no good if it's not
useable.

Sometimes even just a proper explanation of what some function is
supposed to do would help.  There are often things in programs that you
just cannot guess at what they're for, and I'm not one for blind
fiddling with things to try and find out.

I read messages from the public lists.