Re: Disk defragmenter in Linux

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 18:27 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> What I *did* claim is that ext3 is subject to fragmentation.

The "so what" answer is probably the best answer that you're going to
get.  Your claim is about as significant as saying that hard drives are
subject to having data stored on them.

Unless fragmentation on ext3 file systems is a problem, and I've no
evidence to the contrary, then it doesn't matter how the data is put on
the drive.

In some cases, physical fragmentation is even a benefit (think of *one*
of the RAID methods where data is spread across several different
drives).

I don't worry about fragmentation any more than I worry about other
technicalities of how the data is put onto the drive.

I read messages from the public lists.