Re: Disk defragmenter in Linux

Mike McCarty wrote:

Jim Cornette wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Jim Cornette wrote:

John Summerfied wrote:

Jeff Vian wrote:

Exactly, and IIRC the filesystem knows that if it needs X amount of
space for a file, then Y number of inodes are marked for use for that
file at the beginning.  Thus space allocated is as contiguous as is
efficient for read/write on the disk.

If "the filesystem knows that if it needs X amount of space for a file," that implies there's a way of telling it that.

How's that done? I don't recall any system call for *x (there is one for OS/2), and one could do it in JCL in IBM's OS in the 60s), but in the *x world I've never seen a way to do it.

Since the discussions regarding fragmentation on ext3 filesystems was pretty long running. I decided to try
filefrag /usr/bin/* |sort |grep 'would be'
and the output showed a lot of fragmentation. One of the files was up to 45.

On my system I did this...

# filefrag /usr/bin/* | sort -k2 -nr | grep 'would be'

Here're the first few entries...

/usr/bin/emacs: 248 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/emacs-21.3: 248 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/kermit: 80 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/kbabel: 45 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/ddd: 45 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/gthumb: 41 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/gdbtui: 36 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/elinks: 30 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/iniomega: 22 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/kpersonalizer: 21 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/artsd: 21 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/artscat: 20 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/kiconedit: 19 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/glade-2: 19 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/karm: 18 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/dia: 18 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/designer3: 18 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/designer: 18 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/kppplogview: 16 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/kfontinst: 16 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/civclient-xaw: 15 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/cdrecord: 15 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/usr/bin/knewstickerstub: 14 extents found, perfection would be 1 ext

Surely those who argue that ext3 does not get fragmented
during install don't think that 248 extents is "not
significant fragmentation".

I assure you that I have done nothing on my system to try to
fragment emacs.

Mike

The fragmentation for your emacs is unbelievably high. I did not find anything yet fragmented in the hundreds, let alone several hundred extents. Are you using LVM? My system is setup in traditional partitions. LVM usage "seemed" slower in responsiveness, so I assumed it was more in fragments

Why "unvelievably"? Do you mean that you do not believe what my
system says? Or that you do not believe my e-mail? Or that you
find that it stretches your imagination? Or what?

To answer your question, I use FC2.

Mike

Unbelievable simply refers to this fragmentation number sounds like it should not happen. I have no doubt that you are seeing this on your system. Since you are running FC2, I assume the system is using regular partitions and that the system has been in operation for a long time. Sorry if the response sounded otherwise.

Jim

		-- Thomas Edison