Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

Charles Howse wrote:
On Thursday 29 December 2005 22:36, Les Mikesell wrote:

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 21:07, Gene Heskett wrote:

[snip]

The help I have received on one list or another has often been far
more clearly and concisely stated than the manpages for bash that I
have printed out and bound, and read from end to end probably 30 times
now.

I rest my case.

I feel your pain, my friend.
I've been scripting bash for quite a while.
Maybe I can contribute something to this thread, here's my list of bookmarks
for bash scripting:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/toc.htm
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/shell/
http://www.shelldorado.com/
http://home.comcast.net/~j.p.h/cus-faq.html
http://sed.sourceforge.net/sed1line.txt
http://www.student.northpark.edu/pemente/sed/sedfaq.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part1/
http://www.shelldorado.com/goodcoding/cmdargs.html
http://www.macobserver.com/tips/macosxcl101/
http://www.wagoneers.com/UNIX/FIND/find-usage.html
http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/bash/bashref.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Which is why, my friends, when I need a quickie one-off I
*never* write a script. My longest scripts are no more than
20 lines or so. As soon as I need an "if" I switch to C
and write in a language which is documented, understandable, and
portable between systems.

When I left the IBM mainframe world in 1981 I left JCL behind,
and have never looked back. Writing long involved scripts is
a throw-back to the Jurassic age. Join the 21st Century and
abandon shell scripts.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.