Re: Disk defragmenter in Linux

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:
mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, but...

No, Yes PERIOD.

The point being made is to refute the idea that ext3 inherently
does not fragment files.

[root@bend ~]# filefrag /bin/* | sort -k2 -nr | grep 'would be'
/bin/netstat: 2 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
/bin/login: 2 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent

Files that are frequently updated will often have some level of fragmentation. Files that are relatively unchanged tend to be in a single extent.

Again, the point was that some claim that ext3 does not and will
not fragment files which are not dynamic. I claimed that fragmentation
can occur simply due to install of software, which some claimed
will not and does not occur with ext3. I think that I have demonstrated
my point. In fact, I was quite shocked that it was as bad as that,
frankly.

Also, the stuff in /bin will generally be small, tight, command line programs. A quick perusal of those listed in your example shows a number of graphical interface programs that are anything but small and don't even get me started about the size of emacs (the probability of change to a program is very directly related to the size of the program).

I don't use emacs except when I have to. I use MicroEmacs which
I build and maintain myself for all my platforms (MSDOS, Win95/98,
Linux, at one time Solaris and VAX/VMS).

$ ls -l /usr/bin/emacs ~/bin/em
-rwxr-x---  1 jmccarty jmccarty  505567 Oct 26  2004 /home/jmccarty/bin/em
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root     root     4408492 Feb  4  2005 /usr/bin/emacs

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.