Re: Fedoracore Download ?

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 20:02 +1000, Michael Wright wrote:
> its the graphical login  that wont boot....

OK, so what *does* it do?  You really, really need to include some
details here.  "It won't boot" tells us essentially nothing.

Does it hang?  Is there an error message?  If so, what?

Have you tried any trouble-shooting steps?  If so, what?  What was the
result?

Would you take a car to a mechanic and say "it isn't working" and expect
him to be able to help?  Or would you say something like "when I make a
left turn I hear a squeaking noise" instead?  Details are very helpful
when trouble-shooting.

Try rebooting, and when you get to the very first Linux screen (should
be a menu of boot options), press "a" to edit the kernel line.  Use your
backspace key to erase the words "rhgb quiet" and add the number 3 to
the kernel line so it looks something like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL ro root=/dev/hda2 3

This will boot to runlevel 3, which doesn't activate the X server.  Log
in as root and then run the command

system-config-display --reconfig

This will allow you to set up your X server.  I suspect that when Acer
set up your machine, they had it hooked up to a monitor which is capable
of a higher refresh rate or resolution than yours.

Thomas