Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

chowse@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

----
pardon the html...trying to keep long line together...

stick this in a google search

"rmdir when directory is not empty"
site:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

Craig

Thanks Craig.   I didn't know that Google trick.

My $.02 on the main topic of this thread.  Requests for assistance should:

1) Have a clear concise statement of the problem as the subject.

2) Should start off with a re-statement of what the problem is that
expands on the subject.

3) If necessary, include the steps the poster has already taken or other
pertinent information.

This tends to allow verbose posts to get answered since people who have
some idea of the solution can understand the problem without having to
wade through a lot of material.  My time is limited (and I'm guessing so
is everybody else) so I like to be able to *quickly* determine whether I
can help with a particular problem or not.

Dave,
I agree on all 3 steps.  I also agree with Craig that verbosity is not a
good thing when posting for help (so I guess I am wrong when I try to give
as much information as I think will help)....

However...the more things I've tried before posting leads to a "wordier"
post when I finally do ask for help if I'm going to try and avoid a bunch of
"I tried that, it didn't work."

So how do we balance the amount of information we give vs. avoiding
verbosity vs. "Oh, I see the OP has already tried what I was going to
suggest." vs. getting the problem solved?

Actually, my suggestions rely on human nature. My experience has been that following steps 1 and 2 allows you to be as verbose as you think is useful in step 3 and the people who have an interest in your problem will happily wade through whatever else you post. The key is to succinctly state the problem because, frequently, the solution is not nearly as complicated as what people dig themselves into. Likewise, subjects like "Help" sometimes don't even make it past the SPAM filter.

I really think the Fedora folks at Red Hat would do themselves a favor by having a decent troubleshooting and FAQ page. I see Fedora as a testbed for technologies that will eventually find their way into RHEL. The more thoroughly these technologies get tested, especially by naive users, the better for their successful inclusion into RHEL. Providing newbies some help with Fedora and Linux will eventually pay off in a better product in RHEL.

Commenting on another sub-thread in this discussion regarding teletype speeds, I still have a punch card that I found in one of my old text books (probably was using it as a bookmark). I guess I should stick it in my copy of Struble ,"The IBM System/360 and 370 (2nd Edition)".