Re: might have been hacked?

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Kahn Seidl writes:

We are running a dns server running bind 8. And also webmin. There were

Many versions of bind 8 have known security holes.

Everyone should've upgraded to Bind 9 for at least a couple of years, now.

but that's probably not the problem.

Weak webmin passwords are more probable.

I suggest google for "how to" rootkit and look for diagnostic tools from the results. However, if someone's been root on your system, the correct response is to replace it with known good kit and be extremely careful of what you copy across.

Then, enhance your protection: webmin has long been able to limit the number of unsuccessful logins, and you can use firewall rules to block access from the parts of the world you don't want access from.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait