Re: Configuring DNS

On 12.29 12:24, Tim wrote:

Geoffrey Leach:
> I wish to add a secondary DNS server. Adding the IP address to the
DNS
> section in system-config-network appears to work, but after saving
the
> config and rebooting, the newly-added IP address has vanished.

Ankush Grover:
> dns entries are stored in /etc/resolv.conf file
>
> enter the values again through system-config-network and then check
> the file /etc/resolv.conf

Such settings can disappear if your dial-up/ISP-connect scripts
rewrite
your resolv.conf file with name server addresses discovered from your
ISP.

If so, and you never want to use their's, you can configure your
dial-up
script not to update the resolf.conf file.  I seem to remember that
the
wvdial man file(s) detailed how to do that.

Hmmm... nasty. But not in my case. FWIW I'm running satelite broadband. Not only won't they rewrite resolv.conf, but if I tell their tech support that I'm running Linux they won't talk to me!