Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Mike Klinke wrote:

> On Thursday 29 December 2005 11:12, Charles Howse wrote:
>
> > So how do we balance the amount of information we give vs.
> > avoiding verbosity vs. "Oh, I see the OP has already tried what I
> > was going to suggest." vs. getting the problem solved?
>
> I doubt you'll find a magic formula.  Think "conversation".
>
> In general, pretend you're on the other end of the conversation and
> are answering someone else's identical question.  Give as much
> information as you think you'd need to answer it.
>
> If we find your question isn't detailed enough, we'll likely ask you
> for more info or point to where you can find more information
> regarding your question, including the manual, if that's all we can
> think of at the time.

Many times when I ask a question, I get the response "just Google(tm) for
it".

Most of the time when i do, I find plenty of people asking the same
question, but none of them getting any answers.  (That actually solve the
problem.)

The only way that people will find answers on Google is if people start
answering the questions in the first place.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."