Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've alreadyRTFM, tell me the answer!"

On 12/29/05, Neil Cherry <ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
jdow wrote:
> From: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>

>>> status
>>> not
>>>
>>> Actually I think it was because storage space use to be extremely
>>> limited in original unix - so keeping commands short saved extra bits in
>>> scripting.
>>
>> Remember that input devices were mechanical 300 baud tty's (printer,
>> keyboard, no video CRT) in those days.  Typing was not fun; making
>> corrections even less so.

Only the newer teletypes run at 300. ;-) I worked with some
that used current loop and slower speeds 28.8, 38.4, 110 baud.
Let's not paper tape for storage.

--

Not to make anyone feel bad but the only teletypes I remember were the ones my Dad worked on when he was on ship in the Navy!

However, I acutally came on to say thanks for the google search tip.  That has already helped me out a ton in 2 hours.

Usually when I come on for help I am looking for pointers, cause I want to find out and fix on my own - I just have no idea where to go.  Googling usually doesn't help either.

Thanks.

JT