Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 22:50 -0600, Charles Howse wrote:

> >> I don't mean to step on any toes, just want to start some discussion.
> >> Does anyone else have any thoughts on why questions don't get the respectful
> >> treatment they deserve?
> > ----
> > 1 - this is a voluntary list and thus responders offer their time
> > without compensation. No answers are to be expected at all.
>
> Then what is the purpose of the list?  The title of the subscribe page says,
> "For users of Fedora Core releases."  It doesn't say not to expect any
> answers.
----
that's the purpose - but there is absolutely no reason to expect answers
since the answers can only come from volunteers on their own time. If
you want a supported Linux where you can expect to get answers to your
questions, RHEL is for you.
----

> > 2 - if you can concisely describe the problem, you are more likely to
> > get an answer. You are verbose which will always diminish the likelihood
> > of an answer.
>
> I can't think of a concise way to reply to that.  ;-)
> Perhaps I am too wordy...but...isn't it better to list everything I've tried
> that didn't work, rather than just say, "Why isn't <this> working?"
----
A post that has too much information will likely get passed over -
that's a fact. If you want an answer to your question, state your
question as succinctly as possible. If you want sympathy for your
confusion, post in volume.

Craig