Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

For clarity, what I mean is, if I ask a question, and you know the answer,
but it has been asked and answered many times, I would prefer to hear:
"That question is answered in the list FAQ, which is here <link>."
If you know the answer, but ignore the question because it is in the FAQ,
then aren't you increasing bandwidth consumption by causing the thread to
continue?

>> I think the members of this list are mostly doing things the
>> way I would
>> like to see them done, but I also think we could all do better, eh?
>>
>> I don't mean to step on any toes, just want to start some
>> discussion. Does anyone else have any thoughts on why questions
>> don't get
>> the respectful
>> treatment they deserve?
>>

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Charles
>>

> While I agree with you on the general gist of what you're saying, I
> think that the people who are behaving negatively on lists are people
> who are demanding attention.  *Most* people answer, if they know.  Or
> point if they can.  What I've found, is that at least 2 out of 3
> times, when I go to google someone's problem, the answer is usually
> in the top 10 links found.  For people that are particularly active
> on lists, this can be frustrating.

I agree 100%, with the exception that I would prefer to hear:
"I Googled for +"Fedora Core 4" +install" and the answer is..."
That helps me learn how to do my own Googling and come away with answers.

> This list in particular seems to be relatively well behaved,
> although, I don't follow it as closely as I used to (switched
> distros).  So I'm a little curious why you're asking these questions
> now.

Ummmm...well, I just did a lot of research on some list archives, including
this one, and there seemed to me to be a lot of negative responses.
Now the worst list I've ever subscribed to as far as negative response and
RTFM was freebsd-questions.  Whew!  Better put on your asbestos underwear
and list all your research before you post there!