laptop wide display

I have a Dell M70 and have been fighting with getting the display set correctly ever since I put FC3 on it.  It works great - kudos to the developers - yet I can not see to get the wide screen to work correctly.

I used http://lug-untermain.de/faqs/precision.php as a reference but since it is in German I am guessing as to the configuration and the X config is for Debian.  I tried the attached and I got about 2 inches of black space around my monitor and when I scoll my mouse I get more screen - the screen is to big to be shown ....

I have googled to death and have not found a refence I can understand.  I am hoping someone on this list can point me to the magic reference.

Would installing FC4 address or make my problem easier?

Thank you,
   Jamie