Install java with yum

Hi all,

I have my FC4 system cleaned up. I have removed all of the "java" group that is installed with anaconda because it was just too confusing figuring out all the inter-connectedness [? a real word] of the parts of java, jakarta, for this newbie.

I would like to install the sun version of java-1.5.0 with yum and have downloaded the jpackage.repo package (from jpackage.org), commented out all the sections except the last ' [jpackage-generic-non-free], and tried to do the following:
  yum --enablerepos=jpackage* install java-1.5.0

It returns with nothing to install. There is no java installed at present except for
   gcc-java-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0....
   java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0....
which as i understand it are compatibility files(?) for 1.4.2.

My goal is to install a minimal java SDK to:
  1.  run with tomcat4
  2.  experiment and learn a little about java in general.

Can I attain this goal with yum. I have read the Fedora info on http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/index.html. Or should I just grab the tar.gz file and put it in /usr/local/java?

Also, there seems to be a dearth of information on the yum installer-updater. The HOW-TO was written 2-3 years ago and I am having a tough time figuring out how the .repo files are parsed or if --enablerepos=xxx allows only the xxx.repo file to be read.

A nudge in the right direction appreciated.

TIA

Bob