Re: XFS file system

On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 10:57 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> I can determine that the XFS file system is supported. But it does not
> appear to be mainstream (e.g. no mkfs.xfs etc). Abut two years ago it
> was used for large (>4TB) and fast file systems.
>
> What is the current status of XFS. Most all of the documentation I
> have been able to locate date from the last century.

When you boot the Fedora installer, add "xfs" to the list of the
parameters at the very first prompt. E.g. "linux text xfs" (or "linux
xfs text", can't remember the correct order) for a text-based install
that activates XFS.

You can then create XFS partitions with the installer.
The XFS utilities will be installed automatically.

It is recommended to use XFS on partitions which contain very large
files that are read/written at high speeds. E.g. video capture, MythTV,
etc. XFS is the best performer in that case.

I am using it all the time on my 200GB multimedia/MythTV partition with
FC4 and works extremely well.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/