Re: Disk defragmenter in Linux

Tim wrote:
Tony Nelson:

The opinion that EXT2 doesn't need defragmenting is based on only a
filesystem-level view of the problem, and doesn't consider data read and
write performance.  EXT2 does make an effort to keep data only a short seek
away ("clustered").  With this clustering, the filesystem operations of
adding, removing, extending, and shortening files are not much affected by
fragmentation.

With EXT3 (journalling), which always writes data to a new place, updates
the filesystem info, and then frees the old data (roughly speaking),
fragmentation is a way of life, and there isn't much to be done about it.
Clustering helps by keeping the seeks relatively short, if there is space
nearby.

Mike McCarty:

I've heard this argument before, quite a few times in fact. It ignores
one big fact of life with regards to discs. Almost all the data on
my disc are *static*. They don't change. And so having files (like
/bin/ls, for example) be contiguous saves enormously when they are
read.

But such (static) data doesn't get fragmented, it stays as it was
original written.  It's changing files that become fragmented, and newly

Er? Perhaps what Tony wrote was in error, but his understanding is
the same as mine. The ext3 tends to fragment files as it writes them.
And what you wrote doesn't address the directories, which get appended
to, and presumably fragmented, at the time they are created.

written ones that have to fit into the holes of a fragmented drive.  And
since the general advice is to keep /home on a separate partition, for
many good reasons, user files should't affect system and application
files.

Mike

You have found the bank of Larn.