Re: mail server

From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mail server
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:21:30 +0100

Am Do, den 22.12.2005 schrieb azeem ahmad um 17:39:

> i m configuring sendmail, i configured it on zoni.com. the problem is that

What does that mean? Please be specific at best. From information given
we don't know whether you are speaking about masquerading as zoni.com or
whether the hostname is zoni.com or just that you added zoni.com to
local-host-names. Provide configuration file details as well log file
entries where it makes sense.

i added zoni.com to my local-host-names

> it is even sending and recieving mails for/to must@xxxxxxxxx while i think

How is must.com related to zoni.com?

grep -n "must.com" /etc/mail/*

there isnt any output of that command

> it must recieve/send for must@xxxxxxxxx

"must" is a user on your system?

yes, must is a unix user of that Linux box.

> in details.
> i configure my MS outlook for user must@xxxxxxxx with correct password that

The sender From: can be faked easily by anyone.

> is of must@xxxxxxxxx and it is recieving mails for must@xxxxxxxx and sending > mails to other user using my server, when the mail reaches other user, the
> header tells that mail came from must@xxxxxxxx

So the header From: is set as you told your MUA (MS Outlook) to do so.

> Azeem

Your problem is what?

echo '$=w' | /usr/lib/sendmail -bt

  => tells you which domains are treated as local domain (Sendmail
accepts @class{w} for local delivery)

WARNING: local host name (Alpha1) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
Alpha1
localhost.localdomain
localhost
zoni.com

If you want to test for your configuration being an open relay:

http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
http://www.ordb.org/submit/

Alexander

now i tell u by myself. i configured sendmail with dovecot IMAP, system's domain in DNS is set to zoni.com, i created a Unix user "must" on my this server box, i put zoni.com into my local-host-names file. now the user must can login to my email server through must@xxxxxxxx using MS outlook to send and recieve mails to other users. then i tried to login using name must@xxxxxxxx and got loged in, while my dns or local-host-names doesnt contain any entry for must.com, this login with must@xxxxxxxx can send and recieve mails to/for must@xxxxxxxxx another thing is that if i try to send mail to must@xxxxxxxx while being loged in with must@xxxxxxxx, it doesnt send one.
Regards
Azeem