Re: 3com 590c (AUI) on Fedora4 - kernel 2.6.11

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 18:38 -0200, Gustavo Gouvea wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently upgrading a Linux router on my net and I found some problems with the network
> card:
> On this new router I am using a 3com590c which works fine when I use the RJ-45 (10/100)
> conection. This card has an RJ-45, a BNC and an AUI conector. But I have to use the AUI
> conection.
>
> The fact is that it doens't work with the AUI conection, only with a RJ-45/Twisted pair.
> I have tried to load the module (3c59x) with "options=1", to force AUI conection, but I dont
> know if the option is correct (1).
>
> The cables are all ok, because the old router is up and running just fine, using a 3com
> Etherlink II. I cannot use this card because its an ISA card, and I dont have ISA slots on the
> new machine.
>
> Is that possible for this card (3c590c) to be damaged only on the AUI conector?
> (I do the test pinging a machine on the same network, which is my gateway)
> Is it possible that this gateway is doing a MAC address filtering and I will have to ask the
> backbone admin to alow my new NIC?
>
> I have very little experience with this AUI conections, so any tips would be very helpfull.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Gustavo Gouvea

Gustavo,

The way I read the documentation:

/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.14/Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

1 is the option you want.

What is plugged into the AUI connector on the card?  Does it have any
status indicators?

All three media share the same MAC.

Bob...