Re: Binding ports for NFS

On 12/15/05, redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <redhatdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> Let's see if I have more luck with this question and somebody answers
> it.
> I'm trying to share a folder using NFS. The problem I'm having is
> with the ports some of the daemons use and the firewall. The ports
> for portmapper and nfsd remain the same all the time and I can open
> them in the firewall. However, daemons such as lockd and mountd
> change every time I load the nfs service. What I'd like to do is bind
> these daemos to a specific port that would remain open in the
> firewall. How can I accomplish that?

It's not nfsd and portmapper who use varying ports, it's rquotad and
mountd.  Modify /etc/sysconfig/nfs and make it look something like
this:

export MOUNTD_PORT=922
export RQUOTAD_PORT=923

Obviously, choose the two ports you want.  I use 922 and 923.  That
should fix you up.  You'll need the following ports open on your nfs
server host (assuming you use 922, 923).

111/tcp
111/udp
2049/tcp
922/tcp