Re: kernel-module-madwifi for 2.6.14-1.1644 and 2.6.14-1.1653 failures

Temlakos wrote:

Good news. I installed sharutils, and then tried again with the madwifi cvs download, using the command you gave above.

For anyone else thinking of doing the same thing: make sure you are running the particular kernel that you want to build madwifi for. (I also have the kernel-devel package installed.) And when you're done with the installation (I executed all those commands as root), restart the machine. In that way, and only that way, the new driver will find the device and load it as usual.

Now--I /can/ use the current kernel with that interface.

Coincidentally, I've just been exchanging email regarding this driver. His spec file had a few minor flaws which should be ironed out now.

If you have the usual build tools and the relevant kernel-devel package, the nightly tarball should "just work." Some of the older ones (before my complaints) require a litte work, chiefly because the spec expects a different tarball name (and internal directory name).

wget ...
rpmbuild -ta --target=<arch> <package.tar.gz>

I've been building for FC3 kernels.

--

Cheers
John