Re: amd .vs intel....

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 21:50 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 19:31 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > and the DRM software that prevents non-drm-enabled PCs (read that as
> > non-Windows PCs) from playing DRM protected CDs
>
> I've had this argument elsewhere, but I don't see that as being
> possible, unless they start selling CDs that cannot be played in normal
> CD players.
they have.

> If you can play your music CD in an ordinary CD player, like any that
> have been built over the last twenty years, then you can play it in a PC
Usually true
> as well.  You've just got to be sensible enough NOT to install something
> that prevents you from doing so.

Not necessarily true.  Some time back there was a few threads here about
inability to rip/copy DRM cds even for putting onto an owned ipod or
similar. IIRC there was even some hardware damaged by that.  The general
consensus seemed to be that you should take back any such disks and get
a refund since they could not be used without getting newer players.

Since most PCs look at the content of the CD when it is inserted, having
software that "autoruns" can cause havoc on a PC but would be skipped on
a player.