Re: cannot find canonical DNS on slmodem PPP connection

Am Mi, den 14.12.2005 schrieb Globe Trotter um 12:15:

> > Make sure you have set PEERDNS=yes (in
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 while using wvdial? maybe in
> > wvdial's configuration). That causes the /etc/resolve.conf to be updated
> > at each dial-in.
> >
> > Alexander

> I do not have this file. I have a ifcfg-eth0 and an ifcfg-eth1 and an ifcfg-lo
> but not the above. Should I just create it, or is there a program which will
> create it automatically? Does wvdial have a setting which will do that?
>
> I tried using system-config-network but unfortunately, the setup is for very
> specific ISP's in very specific set of countries so is not of much use. Also, I
> am using slmodem which creates a soft link to /dev/ttySL1 (or is it 0?) and
> that is not in the list of devices.

> Globe:)

I never used wvdial, so I have no reliable information about how it sets
up the dial-in device. The old RHL9 documentation

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html

tells us "The PPP interface configuration file [me: ifcfg-ppp<X> (where
<X> is a unique number corresponding to a specific interface)] is
created automatically when wvdial, the Network Administration Tool or
Kppp is used to create a dialup account.

More googleing tells me, that indeed wvdial makes use of an
ifcfg-<device> configuration file.

Alexander

Serendipity 16:38:08 up 9 days, 21:15, load average: 0.18, 0.21, 0.18