Re: rootkit?

Craig White wrote:

----
Backing up data directories and reinstalling from scratch is the only
known method to ensure the integrity of a system that has been
compromised. Once a box has been compromised, you cannot trust a single
binary file on the system.

You should go round telling every windows user that they need to reinstall after every virus attack. I think your advice would be more sound then, particularly wrt Windows 9x/Me.

There is some risk, sure, but if the object of cracking a machine is to
a) Provide a vehicle to attack others
b) Send spam
c) Provide a controlling machine to coordinate a and/or b,

then there is such a thing as too much control. The more harm an intruder does, the sooner it will be noticed.

Do you know a realistic, foolproof way to identify data directories? I don't: I think of my computers, and I can't see how you would reliably distinguish between data and non-data.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait