Maximize windows side-by-side

Hello All,

The laptop I use is a Dell D800 with a 16:10 LCD.  It's resolution is
1920x1200.  It's nice, aside from the the fact that such a resolution
is, in my opinion, best suited on a 21" widescreen LCD and not on this
laptop.

The extra work space lets me position apps side by side, increasing my
productivity.  However, it's always been a manual process.  I have to
manually resize and place the windows.

What I would really like is the ability to choose which two windows I
want placed beside each other, and click a button to have the window
manager "maximize" and place them for me.

I don't know of any current window managers that have this feature.
Does anyone know of any?  If not, are there any tiny apps that provide
this functionality?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

Ranbir