Re: [OT] Comments: Evolution - Sylpheed Claws

On Wed, 2005-07-12 at 13:39 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> <rant>Evo has been my mail client since RH9. It has become increasingly
> ponderous and bloated while usability has diminished.  The offering in
> FC5 will be even worse. For example, you can no longer choose how you
> want to forward a message (inline, quoted or forward) except by default
> configuration.

That sounds bad.  What's going to be the default?

> The action set provided by filters remains limited. The
> toolbar remains uncustomizable and the menus have been re-arranged and
> reduced. In short, Novell is accomplishing the objective of creating a
> MS Outlook clone - warts and all.</rant>

If Novell is just making a free version of Outlook, then Evolution is
headed for the garbage heap.  There are things about Outlook that I
don't like, but for the most part it's really nice.  I sincerely hope it
doesn't go to crap.

> The good news is that this has resulted in my changing to Sylpheed
> Claws (Fedora Extras). Very fast, stable and light, it is incredibly
> flexible and feature rich.

I didn't see any mention of a Calendar on the Sylpheed-Claws website.
You spiked my interest, so I installed it anyway.  Sure enough, there
isn't a calendar, or even a task list.

So, what do you use for the missing bits?

I like Evolution because of the integrated Calender and Tasks.  I'd have
a hard time switching to Sylpheed-Claws, or any other app, that didn't
at least have all three (mail, calender and tasks).

Thanks for the "rant".  And, I must say that Sylpheed-Claws is indeed
nice.

Regards,

Ranbir
--