Re: how to access photo camera card?

Marius Andreiana wrote:
> On FC4 when I plugin in a photo camera, a dialog asks me to import
> photos (gthumb does the import, but it doesn't delete the files, even
> though I checked that).
>
> There is no icon with the drive on desktop, how could I mount the card
> and use it directly as a storage device?
>
> More details:
> The camera is Canon A520, with SD storage.

Good question! I've got the A510 (same basic design, 3.2 megapixels
instead of 4). It looks as though these cameras use the PTP (Picture
Transfer Protocol) standard, rather than providing you with something
that can be mounted. See, for example,
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html .

If you ls -lart /dev | tail , you should see a recently-added
character device node that corresponds to the camera. Unfortunately,
you'd need a block node to mount a filesystem.

I don't think the camera actually exports enough information in the
right way to mount it as a storage device. Your options are to get a SD
reader, or to try one of the other available programs (digikam or gtkam,
although that was on Ubuntu...)

Sorry,

James.

--
E-mail address: james |    "Just for once, I wish we would encounter an
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets..."