Re: Gui for configuring NTP

From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 15:48 -0500, Terry Polzin wrote:
It's generally a bad idea to try to sync to a time server outside your
TZ.

Why do you think this?  NTP doesn't work with local time.

Basically I'd suggest that merely in the interest of trying to
minimize the packet transit time as a "rule of thumb". I'd pick a
number of servers physically near the site then use ping times or
mtr traceroute times to figure which set of three or four has
the shortest delay internet routing to the site needing ntp service.

But there is no magic about time zone in specific. If the shortest
path to a primary reference time server is across a time zone boundary
don't hesitate to use it.

{^_-}