Re: how is initial xorg.conf generated? any options for this?

James Wilkinson wrote:
Skunk Worx wrote:

2) Is there a way to set "no dri"? some machines are locking up randomly
on the first startx, they use the ATI radeon 7000 chip...commenting out
load dri fixes this, but is there a way to (by default) not have dri in
the initial xorg.conf creation?

Sergey wrote:

That seems weird that DRI conflicts with your radeon videos. Are you sure the lockups caused by DRI extensions?

I can confirm that with a PCI Radeon 9250 (same basic chip design) on
x86_64, I regularly got system freezes *unless* I took "load dri" out of
Xorg.conf.

I won't use closed-source drivers with Linux.

James.

Yes it is absolutely the box stock Fedora/Xorg radeon driver, on FC4 with fully up2date installs. My boxes did this under FC3 as well. If "Load dri" is removed the systems boot/run reliably. They are Dell SC1425 IU rackmounts, using the Radeon 7000 chipset. 32 bit intel dual P4 boxes.

---
John