Re: iptables support?

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 17:51 -0500, James Kosin wrote:
> Iptables should be kept simple and to the point.
>
> (1)  At the bottom (last line) DISALLOW everything.
> (2)  Insert above rule #1 anything you want to allow.

Shouldn't that be the other way around?  You've allowed various things,
then disallowed everything (which logically should include what you've
previously allowed).

My default policy (first action) is to drop packets, then I open up
holes for a few things I'm happy about.  Works well for me...

My script starts thus (see below), then I add rules below it:

## Flush any pre-existing rules:

iptables --flush INPUT
iptables --flush OUTPUT
iptables --flush FORWARD

iptables --flush
iptables --table nat --flush

iptables --delete-chain
iptables --table nat --delete-chain

## Set default (policy) rules:

iptables --policy INPUT DROP
iptables --policy OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables --policy FORWARD ACCEPT

Specific rules follow on from here.  Some to explictly deny things I
want to take precautions against, and some to allow things I want.

I read messages from the public lists.